Google
 

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Look at the Pros and Cons of Homschooling

I already told you why I plan to homeschool my girls. Today, I ran across a great article detailing both the pros and cons of homeschooling. In it, Isabel Shaw examines the issue from both sides, going into a depth of detail that, she said, comes from experienced homeschoolers. Her exact words:

"Almost ten years ago, when I was making the decision to homeschool, I wrote up a list of pros and cons. The pros won me over, but since then, I've discovered there were many more pros and cons that I couldn't possibly have anticipated!

To help other parents who are considering homeschooling, here is a new list of pros and cons. This list is based on both my experience and the experiences of dozens of families who've shared with me the ups and downs of their day-to-day homeschooling."

Some of the pros:

  • Increased freedom of various kinds
  • Strengthened family relationships
  • Elimination of busywork
Some of the cons:
  • Time restraints
  • No break for Mom
  • Living outside the norm
If you are in the process of making a decision regarding homeschooling your child, I strongly encourage you to go read the entire article to obtain a balanced view of both sides of the homeschooling coin.

No comments: