Google
 

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tie Dye Butterflies


I was wanting some spring decorations that we could make for our classroom. I don't remember where I saw this idea (it must have been 10 years ago) but these are really cute and simple to make.





For our tie dye butterflies we used bingo daubers, markers, coffee filters, and pipe cleaners (chenille stems).


Before you begin, be sure to write the child's name on the coffee filter. I chose to write their name in very small print on the outer edge of the butterfly.

To make the butterflies you don't have to use bingo daubers but our kids really like them so we put the daubers to use. We used the markers and daubers to color the coffee filters. Next, we just sprayed about 3 squirts of water onto the coffee filter and moved the filter around a little so that the water would make the colors run. If a child didn't color their filter very much then I scrunched it up to help the color spread.


We laid the coffee filters out to dry. We used recycled copy paper and newspaper on the tables during the coloring and drying process and it was very helpful.

Next, I used a pipe cleaner to make a body for the butterfly. I gathered up the coffee filter and wrapped the pipe cleaner around the middle a few times and then twisted it to make a body and antennae. It took a little practice to figure out how I wanted to wrap it, but I think it turned out well.


These butterflies are a colorful addition to our classroom. :)

2 comments:

Linda said...

These are lovely!
We did a similar project last summer ...also simple as can be. After tie dyeing the filters we glued little strips of aluminum foil on them and then cut them into fish shapes. Ta Da ... Rainbow Fish. I can't take credit for the idea but boy was it fun. We will enjoy making these butterflies I'm sure. Thanks for sharing.:)

ThriftyMommy said...

Hi Linda. Thanks for dropping by. I hope you enjoy making the butterflies and thanks for the idea about the rainbow fish. :)